When starting this business, it was of the utmost importance to us to make it eco-friendly. Living on a 10 acre farm, we’re constantly surrounded by the natural beauty and wonder of the Earth. We believe it is so important to do all that we can to protect the planet, so we put what’s best for Mother Nature first when making any decisions about our business and our products. We want to make it easy for our customers to know they’re buying a product that is earth-friendly so they can feel good about their purchase.
One company we're particularly grateful for is EcoEnclose. They offer recycled, recyclable and naturally biodegradable packaging for companies big and small. We get the majority of our packaging materials from them, which we were able to try before buying through their Free Sample offering. (You can click on this link for $20 off your first order with them).
Here are some of the ways 10 acre farm is prioritizing sustainability:
- The candles: We use 100% soy wax made from soybeans ethically produced in the USA. We do not add in any dyes and all fragrances are phthalate-free.
- The jars: Our jars are recyclable and reusable. Some ways we’ve seen customers reuse them include as holders for bathroom items like Q-Tips, cotton balls, or makeup brushes, as a pencil holder on your desk, and as vases for some fresh cut flowers.
- Packaging: Anything you receive from us is in plastic-free packaging. We wrap our candles in 100% recycled and recyclable tissue paper. The sticker holding it together is biodegradable and recyclable. The packing peanuts are biodegradable, made from organic starch (put them in water and watch them disappear!). The boxes are made in the USA from recycled content, are biodegradable, and curbside recyclable. Our shipping labels are fully recyclable, too. Purchased from us at a craft fair? The bags are recyclable and made from 100% recycled post-consumer content.
- 1% for the Planet®: You may recognize this logo from some of your other favorite brands, like Patagonia or Boxed Water. 1% for the Planet® brings "people together to increase smart environmental giving" and certifies all commitments - legitimizing 10 acre farm's commitment to putting earth first.
- Imperfect sale: Every few months, we'll be having an "imperfect sale." Any of our candles that we didn't want to charge full price for due to minor imperfections will be sold at half price. This helps us reduce waste.
- Reusing materials we receive from suppliers and production: we reuse things like cardboard boxes and pallets for projects in our garden, and we take the paper towels used to wipe our soy wax and scents during production and turn them into fire starters!
We're proud of where we're at and look forward to learning from others to continue bettering our impact on the environment.
If you have any ideas for us or want to let us know some of the things you're doing to help Mother Nature, we'd love to hear from you!